top of page

What are the requirements of having a legally enforceable Separation Agreement?

To have a legally enforceable separation agreement, you must get it signed and notarized by both spouses. The signing can be done individually and in front of different notaries. After signing, you must file the signed and notarized separation agreement with the County Clerk. Once filed with the clerk, you and your spouse are required to live separately from each other for a period of one (1) year. If you reconcile, then the Separation Agreement will be voided. Upon completing one year apart from one another, either party may request the Court to issue a conversion divorce based on the filed Separation Agreement which either merges into the divorce decree or survives the divorce decree.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

A married couple may use a bypass trust to protect their assets and to preserve the federal and state estate tax exemptions. Upon the death of the first spouse, the deceased spouse’s assets are placed

Only probate assets, such as real property titled in one's own name or as tenants-in-common (no joint tenancy), personal property, bank or brokerage accounts without beneficiary designations pass thro

bottom of page